Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Distress Tolerance

I agree with you @Scarlet1 . Thanks for the reminders.

I appreciate what you posted about not hurrying to 'do' anything about feeling down, @Appleblossom . That's so important for me because I tend to over-react. So that's a huge takeaway for me.

Also @Scarlet1 , how have you been finding the forums? I wanted to reach-out to you if perchance you had any questions.

Take Care,

tyme

Thank for that excellent information 

I really appreciate those intelligent and practical skills detailed 

I have been really trying to work on my distress tolerance and how I manage the feelings of fear, sadness and anxiety I get without getting swept away in them to the point where it just boils over into something I can no longer move through and out of for hours/days/weeks.

I’ve tried breathing, distraction, imagery, self talk and attempts of radical acceptance but each time I just keep getting washed away in it.

me too. @Spicy_Squirrel 

I'm wondering if it may just be a matter of time and process?? 

I'm not sure. I've taken to looking at it like weight training. And a principle called "progressive overload" ... that there is a cumulative effect that only comes with continued and sustained effort... and in between there will be days of soreness and aches... 

?? 

I'd like to know more about it, too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance