Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Join us tonight for Topic Tuesday 11 Nov: What does mental illness even look like!?

There's still a lot of stigma and lack of awareness about MI. Sounds like a large part of managing it's impact is setting standards for ourselves. @kenny66 telling people upfront and working (or not) with them from there can be helpful in the sense of practicising self-acceptance first, and then expecting no less from others.

@Zinoviev congrats are going back to your old workplace. Sound like they're very supportive, which is quite different from your previous workplace. I agree in my own experience the attitudes of managers can have huge impacts. I was once in place that was pretty toxic, most people where unhappy, some were extremely judgemental, and unsupportive. I don't regret leaving that job, and looking for a place that would treat me with the dignity that I think all people deserve.

If you could do one name one main thing that needed to change to challenge stigma, what would it be? Perhaps it would be a change in national policy? Or perhaps more media campaigns? Are there lessons that we can learn from the past in terms of other social issues?

Re: Join us tonight for Topic Tuesday 11 Nov: What does mental illness even look like!?

Here here @kenny66, focusing on the kind definitely helps. If you focus on the negative, it can become pretty overwhelming. 

I honestly think if someone has had no experience dealing with mental illness then it's easy for the them to freak out. The sensationalisation in the media doesn't help and it's what most people use to understand mental illness.

For my partner, most people she discloses to find it hard to believe that she has GAD because she's pretty outgoing and funny. But they don't see that panic attacks, and constant worrying and guilt that I see. I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing when people don't believe her. On one level it helps them to see her as 'normal' but then again, it shows that people don't really get it. I like to think starting this conversation helps.

Fundamental change in a social democracy is only brought about through sustained implementation of sound public policy. Private enterprise will not lead the way on this one.

All might recall how the private sector was dragged kicking and screaming in adopting changes for equal rights for women in the workplace-the introduction of quotas for women on boards and a fundamental realisation of the value of women to society and the economy.

The same applies to indigenous policy. So I would say that someone should take ownership of the issue and coordinate its implementation across the board.

The change will be generational because currently stigma and ignorance is entrenched. As with indigenous affairs, millions of dollars across fragmented and non contiguous policy has no outcome of any value, as has been proven on so many occasion's. The incompetence of the government departments of which there are many involved in these areas is a topic by itself.

@CherryBomb 

Yeah, my MI did impact on work perfomance but I kept it hidden. Like Snoo,  people are often suprised when I tell them about my MI but they haven't noticed see me in the toilet cubicle crying. I doubt many people in the past when I worked in hospo would have guessed when I was unwell.

Come to think of it when I finally did disclose in my current workplace they were pretty suprised and said they I 'held it together really well.'

And for things to change... I think some top down stuff would be good. I just think its extremely hard for people on the 'down' to effect down-up action, we need broader societal change on policy level. Especially in the workplace where there is a power imbalance.

Great points from @kenny66 and @BeHappy, that social change requires a (sustained) policy change that acts in tandem and influences social perceptions of mental illness. 

We only got another 10 minutes before we wrap up so if you have any final thoughts now is the time to voice them!

I remember when there was a major reform in gun ownership. Lots of people hated it, but in the end they dealt with it, and I'd like to believe that many people are thankful for them. It'd be great to have a major reform - ahhhh in an ideal world....

Its the dream isnt it? To have any thing health wise going on in your lifes back ground but still have your work place believe and understand that you can still uphold a good job and not have it interfere with your job roles. Once upon a time i have a rough patch in my life but my working life was just as stable and level as it ever was. For some reason some employers have a belief that you may not be able to manage to work if you have health issues- but thats not always the case.

Some great insights tonight about stigma and perceptions of MI. It's certainly a tough issue with no quick and easy solution. Having conversations like these is one small step in challenging stigma, and as our members have pointed out there are things you can do in your everyday interactions to help, such as self-acceptance and surrounding those who accept you and your MI. Also, lobbying for social change could be another way. This can be done by writing a letter to your M.P, or even voicing your concerns when not treated well by health services. These may seem like little things, but a culmination of these actions can help. We've had some changes occur, such as women's rights, which Kenny pointed out that shows that changes can be made over time.

A tiny change today brings a dramatically different tomorrow. – Richard Bach, One

That concludes our Topic Tuesday. To members that participated by both writing and reading:

THANK YOU

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance