Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Tools for Advocacy // Tues 19th October, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hi SANE Community,

This coming Topic Tuesday is all about Tools for Advocacy 🎉

At some point in our recovery journey, there are times when we self advocate for our needs, our wishes and our recovery goals. There might be people advocating beside us and empowering our voices (individual advocacy). And other times, we might be the voice representing the thousands of others going through recovery too (systemic advocacy).

Tools for Advocacy.png

Lived Experience advocacy is about empowerment and decisions/choices made with lived experience at the heart. In this discussion will talk about the skills for self advocacy, how we can empower others to self advocate, and how we can influence through advocacy for broader change in mental health services and systems.

There will be a twist for this Topic Tuesday, instead of facilitating the discussion, I will be joining as a guest 🙂 Before coming to SANE, I started my career as a lived experience speaker, advocate and representative. There are thousands of us using advocacy skills every day! We welcome all our forum members to bring your stories, tips and tools for advocacy to this discussion. 

Please join us here on Tuesday 21st September 2021 from 7:00pm-8:30pm AEST to talk about skills for all types of advocacy, and how we can use our voice to empower and drive our recovery. 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

147 REPLIES 147

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tools for Advocacy // Tues 21st September, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi there forums community, 

Sending my apologies that we will not be going ahead with Tonight's Topic Tuesday and it will be postponed. I was guest for tonight and have been under the weather Heart

But don't worry, we will be setting a new date again soon so keep an eye out for more information! I am so passionate about this topic and can't wait to hear from all of you about your experiences of self, individual and systemic advocacy 🙂 

Thank you for understanding and look forward to talking to you about advocacy soon Heart

Tagging all those who have supported the Topic Tuesday post
@-Just-me @Arizona @Owen45 @Kasey @Strivetothrive @Vonney @JungleGiants @Anastasia @Snowie @chibam @RedHorse @Historylover @Former-Member @cloudcore @tomatosauce @Fluttershy1 @Shaz51 

Sorry all! Please keep an eye out for the new date 🙂 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tools for Advocacy // Tues 21st September, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Hi there Forums Community, 

Really looking forward to chatting with you tonight about all things advocacy and hear your experiences 🙂 

Just tagging those that supported the original post back in September, we would love to see you here tonight 7pm AEDT (Sydney time) 🙂 

@Praski @Lyra_reachout @Longingtobelong @Odet @Unic0rn @YinandYang76 @Owen45 @Kasey @Strivetothrive @Vonney @Historylover @Former-Member @Zoe7 @Lurla @Millieme @BPDSurvivor @-Just-me @cloudcore @tomatosauce @Fluttershy1 @Shaz51 @JungleGiants @Anastasia @Snowie @chibam @RedHorse @SageSolid @Eve7 @Spirit_Healer 

If this is your first Topic Tuesday, we have a how to guide to help you join in the discussion! How To Guide: Topic Tuesday 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Tools for Advocacy // Tues 19th October, 7:00-8:30PM AEST

Good evening everyone, Topic Tuesday will begin in 20 minutes and so I'm just tagging all of those who have supported the post Smiley Very Happy

@Praski @Lyra_reachout @Longingtobelong @Odet @Unic0rn @YinandYang76 @Owen45 @Kasey @Strivetothrive @Vonney @Historylover @Zoe7 @Lurla @Millieme @BPDSurvivor @-Just-me @tomatosauce @Shaz51 @Fluttershy1 @RedHorse @JungleGiants @Anastasia @Snowie @chibam 

Tagging members online in case you would like to join this discussion 🙂 

@BlueBay @Bow @Fluttershy1 @Determined @Eden1919 @HenryX @Former-Member @Meowmy @Former-Member @SmilingGecko @Flying_Hams @frog @lev15 

Tonight we are talking about tools for advocacy 🙂 

Can I just say I feel there is a lot of stigma still around for mental health, I feel like emails, calls, appointments, are always delayed and I have to make more of an effort in contacting people, like it's not mutual etc I've been experiencing it, but I think being resilient is good

Welcome @Former-Member , welcome! I completely agree that there is a lot of stigma around mental health. Tonight we will be discussing advocacy and we hope that you'll find this space valuable. Often we have to work really hard to communicate in the health space and that could be a form of self advocacy Smiley Happy

Hi there forums community,

It's time to get started! For those that are new here, if you get stuck navigating this discussion, please feel free to let us know by using the @ button and mentioning myself or @periwinklepixie . We also have a how to guide for Topic Tuesday to help you out.

Tonight our special guest is our very own community manager @Daisydreamer !

We are also joined by @periwinklepixie , one of our peer support workers here at SANE.

To start off, we would love to hear from you: What are you most interested in hearing about tonight?

This discussion aims to provide a safe for us to share our thoughts, questions and experiences, and hold a space to hear from others. If at any time you are experiencing distress, or would like to talk to someone, the SANE Helpline is here for you. You also access urgent help at the top of any page on the forums

@RedHorse @SageSolid @Eve7 @Spirit_Healer tagging you here are well 🙂

Happy to see where this goes tonight @cloudcore @Daisydreamer 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance