Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: EASTER Hang Out Space - All are invited!

Even jogging iand push-ups are better for you if you pace yourself at a slightly slower level going down and up, and you're less likely to injure yourself when doing them slowly @BPDSurvivor.

Watching a series of FBI @Former-Member 

And tin oysters for lunch 

Sounds good on a Sunday afternoon @Shaz51 🙂🌺

Very yum! How do you eat them? I have them on crackers with cheese 🙂

That sounds nice @Former-Member will have to try it next time 

No just ate them out of the tin 

If you’re a fan of vitaweats, they do match well with those I think @Shaz51 🙂

Best Easter wishes everybody ….. 🌷🐣❤️

@BPDSurvivor 

HOW OSTARA BECAME EASTER

Obviously we can see parallels between these ancient roots and the Christian festival of Easter. Linguistically, Eostre is the etymological origin for “Easter”, so why is that? Historians have different theories. As Christianity spread through Northern Europe and people maintained their older traditions. The Church, as a result, started to encompass these pagan traditions and festivals within the Christian calendar.

St Patrick (whose day is also celebrated around the equinox) very deliberately incorporated Irish folk traditions and beliefs into Christian practice as he actively converted the population of Ireland. For example, the Celtic cross features a circle at the centre — as the sun was venerated within the Irish pagan tradition, St Patrick thought that this would help his converts associate the cross with divinity. Considering how popular the Celtic cross is today, it seems this campaign was a success.

As for whether Easter is the definitive date of Christ’s resurrection, that remains wreathed in shadow. While the Roman census clearly places Jesus’ birth in June, it’s harder to pin the crucifixion down to a day on the calendar (or even a year!) But whatever the histography of Jesus’ life, as a divinity linked to the sun, he is related to his predecessor pagan sun gods — like Mithras — who also died and were born again… and have been connected to the Spring Equinox as a result.

So, although claiming Eostre/Ostara/Easter for Christianity may have been a deliberate campaign by the Church, we could also argue that Jesus is just another in a long line of deities associated with this date in the calendar. What’s more, our popular iconography of hares/rabbits and eggs in association with the festival could be thought of as ancient traditions persisting, a millennia apart from their origins.

@Abner 

I've done Ubi Caritas by Gjeilo.  Wonderful. Fellow chorister!

I also love your wisdom re exercising slowly. Its important. SO often too much focus on speed.

@Faith-and-Hope @tyme @Shaz51 @Former-Member @john74 and all

Hope the day was at least middling to decent....

be wonderful if it was great....

My organ playing went well enough.... and in the afternoon there was karaoke... and I sang Khe Sahn and My heart goes on .... kind of different to my usual fair, but ya gotta fit in .... and I try! lol

@Jacques Cultural history is interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

Similar cultural absorptions happen still eg at the hospital they did fish on Friday and eggs on Sunday... the Sacred and Secular are not always separate. A lot depends on the individual and the organisation. Humans need people and culture grows around that.

We often forget that traditions like carol singing go way back before Christmas @Jacques.

@Appleblossom it's good to hear you enjoy music as much as I do. At the SGL choir we've been practising "Bad Romance", a lot of fun!

Happy easter to you all. sorry im abit late to the party.
i hope everyone had some good in your days
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance