Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

PeppyPatti
Senior Contributor

Triggering

Good Afternoon, 

I have a lot of joy being part of this forum. Apologies if iv forgotten your name at bottom of this post.
BRONZE-Kevin-Blackwell_Cuckoo-wasp.jpg

Wondering if we can start a conversation about getting triggered ? Reasons why is that I'v been almost ill with getting triggered this week in that my brother flew over from Sydney. It's affected my week. 

My triggering I thought was dealt with. I write on Quora to get a grip, I write here, had years and years of very intensive therapy, on medication, iv quit work because of my disabilities and past, but iv been on the phone more often that not to my therapist, worn out my partner with my insesant talking, studied Psychoanalysis studied Visual Art..........worked hard on getting a support system. 

So what do You do to get a grip ?
How can we support each other ? 

@Glisten @Bill16 

@ENKELI @    @Emelia8   @Historylover      @Jynx @Appleblossom @Shaz51   @spin @MDT @Jacques 

@Meowmy       @Lila3 

@Lite 

@greenpea 

@Oaktree 

@Tilz    @Doldip15    @Jynx   @StuF    @Meowmy 

@Appleblossom 

@fangorn  ..      @@tonys 

@Emilia8                 

@Bon_courage    

@@Oaktree             

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Triggering

To get a grip, @PeppyPatti? I incrementally tried to swap the world of 'mental' things for normal life things. It's not easy, because 'mental things' have been such a large part of our lives. It can be like trying to break a bad habit. It's how I take each day these days and life is much better than it was.

Hi @Historylover 

Do you mean like - example - 

Read a book when you feel you are triggering ? 

fungi-macro-photography-alison-pollack-12.jpg

It's been a long time since I triggered, @PeppyPatti, and my triggering may have been different to yours, but I learnt to ride it out, distract myself—clean, tidy, go for a walk, sit in the sunshine, garden—distract myself with simple tasks. It enabled me to grow stronger. Triggers will always be there; for me it was a matter of negating them with new life goals—meaningful ones that were in the direction I wanted my life to take. I have never seriously dwelt on mental health reading because it becomes the default way of life and precludes change. It's just the same reading, over and over. Stop looking for what's wrong with you and build on what's right with you.

Sorry if this sounds too simple, but it's difficult to put ourselves in another's shoes and come up with the right suggestions.

Thankyou 

@Historylover 

Your honesty is very appreciated. 

Why i take on board what your writing is that I breathe a beautiful love with my three brothers. Where we are tight and loveable. 

And I forget my oldest brothers attitude toward that. 

This is me not really blaming myself but my bubble is burst. 

About time when I'm only 56. 

IMG20231118130049.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance